The mission of Ricketts Harris LLP/RHK Management is to provide a full range of legal services to businesses and individuals, to understand our clients’ needs and concerns and to find the right solution quickly and cost effectively.
Our commitment in fulfilling our mission is to strive at all times to provide our services in a way that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. We are also committed to giving people with disabilities the same opportunity to access our services and allowing them to benefit from the same services, in the same place and in a similar way as other clients.
Reasonable efforts will be made to ensure:
- Persons with disabilities are provided equal opportunity to obtain, use and benefit from the Ricketts Harris LLP/RHK Management services.
- Services are provided in a manner that respects the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities.
- The services provided to persons with disabilities are integrated with the provision of services to others unless an alternative measure is necessary to allow a person with a disability to benefit; the alternative measure may be temporary or permanent.
- Communications with a person with a disability are conducted in a manner that is sensitive to the needs of the disabled person.
- Persons with disabilities may use assistive devices, service animals and support persons as is necessary to access Ricketts Harris LLP/RHK Management services unless superseded by other legislation.
Ricketts Harris LLP/RHK Management is committed to excellence in serving all clients including people with disabilities and we will carry out our functions and responsibilities in the following area:
- We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
- We will train staff who communicate with clients on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
- We are committed to providing fully accessible telephone services to our clients. We will train staff to communicate with clients over the telephone in clear and plain language and to speak clearly and slowly.
- We will offer to communicate with clients by e-mail or other suitable means if telephone communication is not suitable to their needs or is not available.
- We are committed to serving people with disabilities who use assistive devices to obtain, use or benefit from our services. We will ensure that our staff is trained and familiar with various assistive devices (i.e. canes, wheelchairs, scooters etc.) that may be used by clients with disabilities while accessing our services.
- We will ensure that our staff is trained to use the assistive devices available on our premises when available.
- We are committed to providing accessible invoices to all of our clients. For this reason, invoices will be provided in various formats upon request, including, but not limited to large print and e-mail.
- We will answer any questions clients may have about the content of the invoice in person, by telephone or e-mail.
Use of service animals and support persons
- We are committed to welcoming people with disabilities who are accompanied by a service animal on the parts of our premises that are open to the public and other third parties.
- We will also ensure that all staff dealing with the public are properly trained in how to interact with people with disabilities who are accompanied by a service animal.
- We are committed to welcoming people with disabilities who are accompanied by a support person. Any person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to enter Ricketts Harris LLP’s premises with his or her support person. At no time will a person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person be prevented from having access to his or her support person while on our premises.
Notice of temporary disruption
- Ricketts Harris LLP will attempt to provide current clients with disabilities with reasonable notice in the event of a planned or unexpected disruption in the facilities or services usually used by people with disabilities. This notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated duration and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
- The notice will be placed at reception counter as well as on our website. Our landlord, Dundee Realty Management Corporation will also provide us with as much notice as possible regarding disruptions to their services such as elevator/escalator disruptions. They will also advise us if the accessibility washroom, located at 150 York Street, past the elevators on the left hand side, is out of service.
Training for staff
Ricketts Harris LLP/RHK Management will provide training to all lawyers, students and administrative staff and any others who deal with the public or other third parties on their behalf, and all those who are involved in the development and approvals of client service policies, practices and procedures.
- Staff training will be provided within 3 months of their start date with Ricketts Harris LLP.
- Training will include the following:
- The purposes of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the requirements of the client service standard.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
- How to use TTY, and any other equipment available on the premises or otherwise that may help with the provision of services to people with disabilities- TTY is provided through Bell Canada Services – no equipment currently available.
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing Ricketts Harris LLP/RHK Management services.
- Applicable staff will be trained on policies, practices and procedures that affect the way services are provided to people with disabilities. Staff will be trained on an ongoing basis when changes are made to these policies, practices and procedures.
Ricketts Harris LLP will maintain accurate records of training delivered to our staff and make these records available for inspection as may be required.
Modifications to this or other policies
- We are committed to developing client service policies that respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. Therefore, no changes will be made to this policy before considering the impact on people with disabilities.
- Any policy of Ricketts Harris LLP/RHK Management that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
- The ultimate goal of Ricketts Harris LLP/RHK Management is to meet and surpass client expectations while serving clients with disabilities. Comments on our services regarding how well those expectations are being met are welcome and appreciated.
- Feedback regarding the way Ricketts Harris LLP/RHK Management provides services to people with disabilities can be made by e-mail or verbally. All feedback will be directed to our Office Manager.
- Complaints will be addressed according to complaint categories already established in our company’s complaint management procedures. At any time however, a complainant may contact our Managing Partner or our Office Manager.
- Upon receipt of a complaint, it will be investigated with the appropriate personnel and a complainant will receive a written response within thirty (30) days.
Questions about this policy:
- This policy exists to achieve service excellence to clients with disabilities. If anyone has a question about the policy, or if the purpose of a policy is not understood, an explanation should be requested from the Office Manager.
- A copy of this policy is available upon request by contacting the Office Manager. In addition, a copy of this policy is available on the company’s internet website at www.rickettsharris.com.
- Upon request, the Policy document will be provided in a format that takes into account the person’s disability.
Ricketts Harris LLP
Barristers & Solicitors
Suite 800, 181 University Avenue
Toronto, ON M5H 2X7