Joe grew up working in the family business. Although his stories of the experience seem a bit Dickensian to us, it has made Joe the excellent lawyer and business advisor that he is today. An entrepreneur himself, Joe understands his clients’ needs and believes that each deserves a trusted advisor: he strives to fulfill that role for each of them. Joe is a sounding board for corporate executives facing all sorts of difficult challenges. His clients seek his input on how to make the right strategic decisions for their businesses and in their personal lives. They value his skills as a negotiator and a litigator and know that they can depend on him to give them an honest assessment of their options. They know that they can count on Joe to provide them with creative ideas to help them to advance their cause. Joe has extensive courtroom experience, including having acted as counsel on a number of high-profile court cases including a 13-week jury-trial of a defamation action against the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Ultimately, Joe cares about his clients and their success, and they know it. We know it, too, and are thrilled that he is a member of our firm famigila.
- Commercial litigation
- Real property disputes
- Construction lien claims
- Wrongful dismissal
- Civil forfeiture
- Professional negligence
- Estate litigation
- Bankruptcy of Arash Nashid, 2017 ONSC 1054 – The Court granted a creditor’s request to set aside the automatic discharge of a bankrupt.
- Perry v. D’Souza, 2017 ONSC 7073 – Obtained a USD judgment on behalf of a USA resident, against a director and officer of an Ontario company in his personal capacity.
- Crossview Developments Inc. v 22624443 Ontario Limited, 2016 ONSC 647 – On a motion for summary judgment, the Court ordered specific performance in accordance with the terms of an agreement to lease.
- Colenbrander v. Savaria Corporation, 2016 ONSC 441 – The Court dismissed Savaria’s motion for partial summary judgment and awarded summary judgment in favour of our client, Mr. Colenbrander.
- Whirlpool Canada Co. v Chavila Holdings Limited, 2016 ONSC 58; (upheld) 2017 ONCA 81 – The Superior Court of Justice and Court of Appeal dismissed Whirlpool’s application, favouring our client’s interpretation of an indemnity agreement.
- Chandra v CBC, 2015 ONSC 5303 – The Court agreed that a plaintiff who has sued a broadcaster for defamation in connection with a television program can also maintain a claim for general damages for invasion of privacy.
- Chandra v CBC, 2015 ONSC 2980 – The Court denied CBC’s request to proceed to trial by way of judge alone as opposed to trial by way of judge and jury.
- Kiki Kapalua Inc. v. 1203840 Ontario Limited, 2014 ONSC 6298 – A 16 day trial in which our client was entirely successful in defending against the plaintiff’s claim and advancing its own counterclaim.
- Mackenzie v. Country Drug Stores et al., 2013 ONSC 1090 – The Court denied the opposing parties’ attempt to bar our client’s claim for personal injury damages that she suffered as a result of the loss of her pet.
- Honours Bachelor of Arts (Business Administration) with Distinction, Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario (2006)
- J.D., University of Western Ontario (2011)
- Call to Bar: 2012 (Ontario)